The Terminologies tool is a service for developing and maintaining terminologies and concepts intended for terminology glossaries. A terminology glossary is one that contains information on specialised concepts and their designations.
The terminologies are intended for
- people involved with glossary development in an organisation
- data architects and data modelers
- IT experts
- communications experts and translators
- citizens using public administration services who want to find out what concepts used by administration mean.
The Terminologies tool is used to
- maintain terminologies
- define concepts
- show how concepts inter-relate
- suggest new concepts for shared use by public administration
- visualise terminologies and relationships between concepts.
What is the advantage of the Terminologies tool?
- The terminologies produced by different actors can be found in one place. The work done previously by others can be made use of.
- A glossary can be developed at a decentralised level, when its content and status can be viewed by all parties in real time. The latest version is always in use.
- The Terminologies tool therefore supports joint development work and it makes change management easier than if Excel is used.
- If required, however, you can restrict viewing of glossary versions under development to your own work group only, making them public only later.
- It is easy to add new concepts and relationships between concepts.